Every time I lose my voice to laryngitis, I have a fear that it won’t come back.~Andrea Klunder
What are you scared of?
Having a major health crisis changes the lens on how you perceive things. Long-time fears can resurface with a vengeance and new ones you never considered before can materialize.
I was inspired to do this episode and post by Sarah Buino of the Conversations with a Wounded Healer podcast (which my team edits), who was inspired by the WNYC Studios podcast 10 Things That Scare Me.
Read on for more…
Subscribe to The Creative Impostor (it’s free!)
An Invitation for YOU
Apply to the Podcast Envy VIP Circle
Are you podcasting? (I know SOME of this community is doing it!)
Apply now to the Podcast Envy VIP Circle with me
I’ve been teasing it FOREVER. Now there is a way for us to connect 1×1 AND for you to become part of an intimate community of podcasting colleagues who all want to make an impact, shift culture and all the while, reap the deep rewards of podcasting (no, I’m not necessarily talking sponsors…) for ourselves.
This is a community we will create TOGETHER. And because of this, the first 5 members to join will receive the Founding Member rate of $29/month.
I will NEVER offer this rate again and it will be yours for as long as you are current.
To request to become a Founding Member, pop over here to get the scoop: http://www.thecreativeimpostor.com/vipcircle
If you’ve been following me this year, you know that I had a mastectomy and DIEP flap reconstruction of my left breast using abdominal tissue in March 2019 and then this month, a revision to those scars. This was in response to a diagnosis of stage 0 DCIS (pre-cancer) and there is nothing like the “c-word” to bring up FEAR.
When I heard Sarah’s short episode during editing, it hit me in a deep place and then I checked out 10 Things That Scare Me and it’s so simple and brilliant.
Naming the things that scare. It’s powerful.
Here’s my list (which is very different than what it would have been last year.)
1) Big cats (tigers, lions, pumas, jaguars, panthers, etc)
2) Ruining the planet
4) Health insurance (or losing health insurance or inadequate coverage)
5) That my body will never feel right again post-surgery
6) Hurting someone deeply without meaning to, without realizing it, or without even remembering what I did (or didn’t do)
7) Putting things off until never… working and working and working and realizing at the end of my life that none of it matters and that I put off the important things because I was too busy working
8) Running out of money
9) Getting old, becoming feeble, being dependent on others, and beging completely alone
10) Losing my voice (and/or my hearing) — The episode I reference in relation to this one is from Invisibilia: The Prayer.
To hear more stories about the above list, for sure listen to the full episode.
Connect with me!
- Send me an email and let me know what you have created from your own trauma or health journey. So no like formal survey or anything. Just email me. You can write it or record a voice memo on your phone and attach it to the email.
- Join The Creative Impostor Facebook Community and share in a post things that scare you. We create social support for content creators with inspiring prompts, opportunities for you to share your work and more.
My favorite hashtags #thecreativeimpostor #creativewomen #podcastenvy
Oh HEY! I’m on LinkedIn now… dropping pro podcasting tips, insights, and stories. Connect with me there and let me know you’re a Creative Impostor listener.