“If you’re brave enough to follow your curiosity, then that place that you end up will often be a place that nobody else has been.” ~David Kadavy
Here’s what I tried, here’s what happened, here’s where it might be wrong.
I’ve been binging David Kadavy’s podcast, Love Your Work, ever since I discovered him on Jennifer Gardner’s podcast, RoamHowl. And then I read his new book The Heart to Start AND now it’s available as an audio book on Audible.
David’s work is the gift that keeps on giving — and yet, I haven’t paid for any of it. Yet. And that’s one thing we talk about in this episode — the challenge of being a content creator, following your curiosity and figuring out how to make a living doing it WITHOUT selling some kind of $1000+ online course.
We also talk about:
- How David got from Nebraska to Silcon Valley to Chicago and now Colombia — where he’s discovered how to reduce the friction of daily life, variable weather and decision making in order to optimize creative productivity
- Creating what you like to consume
- Creative routines, efficiency and the mix of neuroscience research and self-study he employed to come up with his process
- Crowdsourcing the editing of his new book “The Heart to Start” and the process by which he tested his ideas via his blog on Medium to help get over any feelings of self-doubt
- Why it’s important to allow ideas the time and space to incubate by disconnecting from your work
- PODCASTING – David’s inspiration and why audio over video
- Asking for money — where, when and how
- How posturing as an “expert” can trigger David’s own impostor feelings and how Seth Godin’s advice — reframe what you have to offer from a place of generosity — is the remedy for that!
*Bonus! Affiliate links — support The Creative Impostor at the same time as getting this awesome content.
“Audio is even more intimate than video is… your voice becomes the voice in their head.” ~David Kadavy, on the power of podcasting
Connect with David
Connect with Andrea
Links and Resources
Predictably Irrational (mentioned in the episode)
The Creative Impostor Magic page! Get a special gift from Andrea here.
Support The Creative Impostor
Andrea’s Patreon Page — where you can support the show, get cool gifts from me and can become an active participant in the creative community!
Free Audio Book & 30 day trial membership with Audible.com — support The Creative Impostor when you sign up!
About David Kadavy
I’m David Kadavy. I’m author of The Heart to Start and Design for Hackers: Reverse-Engineering Beauty (which debuted in the top 20 on all of Amazon). I also host a podcast called Love Your Work (iTunes), where I’ve interviewed entrepreneurs and creators such as Jason Fried, Dan Ariely, James Altucher, Ryan Holiday, Laura Roeder, Noah Kagan, and many more.
I used to be a product designer in Silicon Valley, but I’ve since doubled down on my love for writing, after accidentally becoming an author. My writing has been featured in Observer, The Huffington Post, Inc.com, Quartz, McSweeney’s Internet Tendency, Upworthy, and Lifehacker. I currently do most of my writing and thought experimentation on Medium, and I’m very active on Twitter, and have a Facebook Page.
I worked with behavioral scientist Dan Ariely to reinvent Google Calendar. The company we worked on, Timeful, was bought by Google, and many of those features are now in Google Calendar.
I currently live in Medellín, Colombia, which I chose as my home base after extended stays in many places around the world. I’m originally from Omaha, Nebraska, and have also lived in San Francisco; Chicago; San Jose; Kearney, Nebraska; Ames, Iowa; and I’ve done month-or-longer stints in many other places.
I’d LOVE to hear from you!
If you’re listening in Apple Podcasts, PLEASE subscribe and leave a review. It’s how Apple decides which shows people find when they are searching for specific topics like this one.
Get your complimentary meditation...
Metta Meditation for Compassion & Connection
is FREE for a limited time, as gratitude for being part of The Creative Impostor.
Drop your email to get exclusive access to the audio download and give yourself a little bit more mental and energetic space.
Can't wait to see what you're ready to create! ~Andrea