“The challenge is how do you not give yourself away? How do you keep your own soul and integrity intact? You need to have these reserves of your own worth.” ~Dylan Rice
Crowdsource your perks…
In this episode, I reconnect with singer, songwriter, guitarist, arts administrator and my former roommate from my early 20s, Dylan Rice. Dylan is an artist who has both left his day job to make music and record an album AND has kept his day job to make music and is now recording his THIRD self-funded studio album. And he’s doing this really cool thing where he reached out to his creative community to crowdsource the perks for his current crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo.
And this episode has music! All tracks from Dylan’s 2nd album Electric Grids & Concrete Towers, used with permission from Dylan Rice.
Check out the campaign here and consider supporting his dream, while getting some new music AND fun perks, including an artsy Meditation for Creative Minds gift from me.
We talk about:
- How we met and what we were like in our 20s in Chicago — artistic naivite and how we struggled to find our creative identity
- Music making, performance and prioritizing what you love most in your craft
- Depression and self-loathing vs patience and self-compassion
- Pros and cons of having a steady day job while pursuing your creative passion
- The seemingly hidden side of being a musician- business!!
- Creative burnout, how Dylan keeps moving forward with his craft and why it’s important to take breaks and CONSUME art as makers of art
- The inspiration behind Dylan’s new album, his starstruck moment walking into the recording studio and how it feels to open his crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo
Connect with Dylan
Arts, Entertainment, and Public Policy Professional with 15 years of experience in program design, business and community development, marketing and communications, collaborative partnerships, and event production in the public and private sectors. Ecosystem and brand developer. Relationship builder and connector. Organizational collaborator. Audience-focused wordsmith. Dedicated follow-upper. Music maker.
Proven track record of launching strategic initiatives based on measurable outcomes, engaging corporations and organizations as collaborative partners, steering complex projects to completion on time and under budget, and evaluating impacts.
Connect with Andrea
Links and Resources
The Creative Impostor Magic page! Get a special gift from Andrea here.
Support The Creative Impostor
Andrea’s Patreon Page — where you can support the show, get cool gifts from me and can become an active participant in the creative community!
Free Audio Book & 30 day trial membership with Audible.com — support The Creative Impostor when you sign up!
I’d LOVE to hear from you!
If you’re listening in Apple Podcasts, PLEASE subscribe and leave a review. It’s how Apple decides which shows people find when they are searching for specific topics like this one.
5 Questions you haven't asked...
...about your podcast.
You want to make a podcast that matters, right?
Subscribe to get your 5-day Podcast Question Challenge
delivered by email to your inbox. Whether you are an aspiring, new, or seasoned podcaster, I promise that answering these questions will make your podcast deeper, stronger and more meaningful.