Psst. Want to know the secret to becoming a better podcast host? It’s not your equipment. Well, okay, yes: the equipment helps. But even a newbie podcaster with lackluster tech can attract a dedicated audience by delivering a consistent, quality relationship.
Relationships are everything. Research indicates that while folks may listen to podcasts for entertainment and information, they remain loyal to a specific show because of its host.
Karen Yates is definitely that host. She’s a producer, host, and mastermind behind the Wild and Sublime, the super-successful, highly binge-able podcast about sex for everyone, no matter their preferences, orientation, or relationship style. She’s also a friend, a previous Podcast Envy guest, and a Creative Impostor Studios client.
I mentioned to Karen that the “better hosting skills” convo is difficult to have with many podcasters because they feel like they’re already a confident and competent communicator. They’re focused instead on how to grow, monetize, or improve the technical aspects of their show, not their artistry behind the mic. She agrees. “I think some folks are like, well, I have great conversations with my friends. Ergo, if I’m a good conversationalist, I’m a good podcast interviewer. And I don’t think they’re exactly the same skillsets.”
Andrea’s Podcast Angels
Get the FULL masterclass replay!
You know that hosting a podcast is so much more than just plugging in a mic and tapping into your gift of gab! But how do you level up so that your podcast shines?
We also cover:
- Insight into Karen’s pre-production, production, and post-production processes when creating Wild & Sublime
- How she sets her guest up for success each and every time
- Facilitating smooth, engaging panel discussions (Karen’s signature episode style)
- Voice acting and self-care tips
- How to work with your editor to create a system of communication that helps them read your mind, even if that editor is yourself
- How I think about my relationship with YOU!
The Creative Bash!
Request an invitation for a virtual tea date (zoom) with Andrea & Lauren Ramsey to see how we can help you craft and implement your integrated podcast + social content strategy!
Let’s Refresh YOUR Podcast Together
Worried your show might be a little too boring? Find out if a Podcast Envy Refresh is a match made in podcasting heaven for you and your show.
Take a Podcast Envy Masterclass
Get ready to level up your purpose-driven podcasting experience! 50% off Promo Code: VIPinvite
Once you decide to create a podcast and become a host, you’re a voice professional. Your primary instrument is not your microphone, it’s your voice. If you don’t develop it, you’ll give audiences a reason to move on to a different show.
Your Podcast Boss would never let that happen! Here are a few of my fave hosting tips:
- Get into the rhythm. “You can’t push against what is when you’re dealing with a guest,” says Karen. “Accept their energy, and then it’s kind of like dancing.”
- Act natural, strategically. Worried that nudging a guest to comment won’t sound organic? Don’t be. Well-placed prompts (and subsequent edits) create conversations that flow.
- Craft different but authentic voice personas. Karen adopts various delivery styles to lend structure to her episodes. Think NPR-style narrator, sidebar commenter, subject matter novice, comedian.
- Skip the pre-show cheese stick. Seriously.
But wait, there’s more, including Karen’s number one tip for better hosting, but you’ll have to check out the episode to get it!
Connect With Me
Email: andrea [at] thecreativeimpostor.com
LinkedIn @andreaklunder (I only accept connection requests from people I know — include a message letting me know that you listen to Podcast Envy.)
She Podcasts Live!!!
She Podcasts LIVE 2023 is coming up in Washington DC June 19-22 — If you haven’t gotten your ticket yet – use promo code: JOINME for $50 off!
Tuesday June 20 @ 12:10pm Eastern
I’m breaking down my 5-point framework for claiming your role as star so you can shine as brilliantly as you are, grounded fully in your purpose.
Do you LOVE Podcast Envy?
What’s your fave episode? What have you learned? What mistakes have I saved you from making with your show?
I’d LOVE if you would share a review. Here’s where you can do just that: http://www.ratethispodcast.com/envy
5 Questions you haven't asked...
...about your podcast.
You want to make a podcast that matters, right?
Subscribe to get your 5-day Podcast Question Challenge
delivered by email to your inbox. Whether you are an aspiring, new, or seasoned podcaster, I promise that answering these questions will make your podcast deeper, stronger and more meaningful.